March 11, 2009

Not Heaven's Scent

The guardian dogs were pitching a fit last night. All 4 of them, usually it is only the 2 Great Pyrenees that patrol and sound off all hours of the night.
I have almost become conditioned to sleep through their nightly howls and barks. But I knew something was up at 3:00 a.m. when all 4 of the dogs were seemingly disturbed and doing some heavy duty barking.
I was debating if I should go and check out the situation. Listening to them I could actually tell it was not their knock down drag out serious, I mean business bark. It was more or less a get the heck out of here bark like they throw at the neighbors dogs when they wander over. Including a few of the same growls as if a barn cat was trying to eat out of their feed bowls just thrown in for good measure. The only reason I moved from my comfy covers was due to their being so close to the house.
Not 2 seconds after I decided to step into my houseshoes, down the hall and open the door did the most ill smelling, foul, disgusting stench fill the house. A SKUNK! The darn dogs had cornered a skunk up close to the house.
"OH GAG" takes on a new meaning and is not even close to how ill the smell can make a person.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yuck!

Nancy K. said...

Oh, MY!

ChristyACB said...

Oh no....how bad was it in the house? All gone now?

Tomato juice for all the dogs?

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

pheeew wee. Is it sticking/stinking around?

Tammy said...

I know where you are coming from. It is the most horrible and even breathtaking thing right in the maelstrom of it! Boone got sprayed throught the screen door (INTO the house) one night and I sincerely thought I was dying for a few minutes! It took forever for the smell to evaporate--thankfully it went right over Boone's head! (and hit the wall....gag, gag, gag, gag...)
Tammy

DayPhoto said...

My grandfather always said there is no smell in the world like the smell of skunk to clean out your sinus.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/