March 4, 2009

Leaky Washer and Spring Cleaning

Saturday while washing house goat blankets, dog pillows and throw rugs I noticed water leaking out from under the washer. Just a very small trickle thankfully not a gusher. The better half was out in his shop working on man stuff so I yelled out the back door…" I think we have a problem."
Luckily it was not a problem with the washer; it was a problem with the loader (me). A corner of a dog pillow was not submerged below the water line, during the spin cycle the water was ricocheting off the pillow under the lid and down the back and side of the washer.
For the better half to look over the situation, determine the problem and find the source of the leak we had to pull the washer and dryer out from the wall. The washer/dryer area is in the mudroom, beside the back door we use to go in and out to the barnyard also where we hang our farm overalls, coats and kick off our boots. Ewwww, the mess that was under there! The bits and pieces of hay, leaves, gunk and a stray goat berry or two was disgusting. Especially since I had pulled the appliances out only a couple of months ago to clean behind them.
Having the better half handy I also ask if he would pull the kitchen stove out so I could retrieve a spice jar I accidentally knocked behind it. Thankfully no mess hiding behind the stove, while he had it pulled out I decided to clean the sides, sweep behind and do an over all cleaning of the stove. Why stop there, he pulled the refrig out and spring-cleaning began.
It’s a bit too chilly to open up and air the house out which I love to do while deep cleaning. I am working a room at a time, starting with the master bedroom - cleaning, vacuuming and flipping the mattress (get rid of any possible dust mites there you know), sorting, decluttering, and organizing. If all goes well with only minor interruptions I could finish the entire house within a week. Hummm, may do a bit of spring cleaning on computer and the blog also.
Hope everyone has a great day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad it was an easy fix for the washer though and happy cleaning to you, LOL!

Tammy said...

Do you hire out? :-) Glad your washer wasn't anything serious. My washer has some kind of cracked drum or something and seeps while in the wash cycle. I pile towels around it, but it's still a mess (floors are concrete though, so no worries there). Hoping sometime to get a newish one. You should be able to open doors and windows later in the week! Tammy

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Come on Loader, get it together. :-)

Mary Humphrey said...

Glad you got that leak fixed! Yes, I am. :)

I, too, have been very busy with washing goat towels, sheets, and blankets. I have a front loading washing machine, and I am always pulling hay and debris from the inside of the ring.

Spring cleaning sounds like a great plan!

DayPhoto said...

I have a front loading washer and it starting leaking water everywhere. Come to find out a little tiny bit of gravel got stuck in the tube that dains the water from the inside ring. It's really nice to have handy husband's isn't it?

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/