January 6, 2009

Opportunity Knocks

Here we are just one week into the New Year and plans to move the farmstead forward have began.

A friend and fellow shepherd called, asking if we would be interested in adding to our flock. They have a large flock, actually a commerical flock which they are planning to downsize due to other family obligations. Their flock is mixed with Polypays, Suffolk and Dorset.

Truly coincidental that they should call, we were just debating if we should add one or two more head of sheep to the farmstead for various reasons (more on that later).

I have been doing a bit of research on breeds, focusing on quality of fleece along with market lamb production.

In the past we raised a small herd of Polypay. If you have not heard of Polypay...

From Sheep101

http://www.sheep101.info/breeds.html
"** Polypay **
The Polypay is a synthetic breed, developed in the 1970's at the U.S. Sheep Experiment Station in Dubois, Idaho, and Nicholas Farms at Sonoma, California. Targhee x Dorset and Rambouille x Finnsheep crosses were mated to form a 4-breed composite that could produce two lamb crops and one wool crop per year. Polypays are a medium-sized, prolific breed with an extended breeding season. Good mothers and milkers, they produce lambs with acceptable growth and carcass quality. The name Polypay comes from "poly" for many or much and "pay" to indicate a return on investment and labor. Breed category: medium wool, dual-purpose"


During my reading on-line I also ran across a chart (shown below) that if anyone recognizes or knows where I can order one from please let me know. I think if you click on it, it will enlarge. Though don't hold me to it.


Any hoo, looks like the flock will be increasing soon.

4 comments:

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

lambs with acceptable growth and carcass quality*************I don't know what all that means but good luck.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, we used to of course raise Shetland's but now our focus is on the goats right now.

DayPhoto said...

Yes I have heard of Polypays and they are wonderful! That is one good looking sheep!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Mary Humphrey said...

Jama, I know absolutely nothing about sheep, except for what I have read. Have you ever considered making cheese from ewe milk? I have heard that it is very good.