April 23, 2010

In Honor of Earth Day

We named the newborn lambs Eartha and Eco
Eco the not so little solid white ram lamb
Eartha the tiny tri colored ewe lamb

All baby watch, lambing and kidding are now over. Woo Hoo!
Scarlet lambed yesterday afternoon. Did and doing very well for a first time mom. Scarlet and babies are seemingly happy and healthy. And oh so precious!
I had her first possible due date as the 21st. Not far off the mark, lambing on the 22nd. :-) I knew Jackdaw had gotten right down to business on the first day we brought him home and put him in with the girls.
Delivery went well, the ram lamb came first. She must have had quite a bit of discomfort with him being so large. At times she laid flat out on her side in the shelter, with all 4 feet braced up against the wall during contractions. Poor girl. About 20 minutes after Eco was out, in the process of being cleaned by both Scarlet and I, she had a couple more contractions then out popped Eartha. I really mean popped out. I think both Scarlet and I were surprised and caught off guard at how quickly and easily she arrived. Scarlet was still cleaning Eco so I helped a tiny bit by cleaning Eartha's nose, mouth and head. Once she cried Scarlet was there.
While Scarlet cleaned every inch of the two I scurried around and got her molasses water, dipped the navels, cleaned up the afterbirth, lay out new hay in the shelter, took a couple of photos, checked the udder end, then settled in to hold the precious new lamkins.
The better half was actually able to be somewhat present during their delivery, I took him to the lambing jug on the cordless phone during the crucial moments. :-) Long distance the next best thing to being there ya know.

2 comments:

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Over the last two years, do you know that I've had 12 baby goats born in my barn and never seen an infant one even wet? My girls won't deliver when I'm around. I've never dipped a naval or cleaned a nose.

Love the names - Eco and Eartha.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your lambing season!

Amy