October 21, 2010

Felted Wool Blanket

The weather has been amazing! Yesterday was another great day to be working outside. Was wonderful...soaking up the warm afternoon temperatures, enjoying the sunny skies not to mention the beautiful fall foliage.

This was my office...


My desk...


My co-workers...

These three are my constant companions. The big one is Brutus my grand dog, a GP/Lab cross. His mom is one of our livestock guardians. His dad was the neighbor over the hill's dog who jumped the fence to come a courtin'. Brutus was born the weekend my son moved back home. My son just had to have his own dog, so he had pick of the litter. He does care for Brutus, buys his food, takes him to vet when needed, plays with him when he can and did have him nuetered. The thing is my son works 2 jobs and is never home.
The little silver one is Fiona, our most recent rescue. She and Buster Brown (the blonde dog in back) are both Llasa's. Fiona lost half of her ear before she came to us, as well as weighing in at 1 lb., had a skin disorder and was malnourished. Now she just looks a bit quirky with her one ear standing straight up. Buster Brown also a rescue is a whole nother story.

My project...

I am attempting to make a felted wool blanket. Why? The better half wants one. So I am trying. It will consist of 6 felted Shetland wool panels sewn together, with a backing of flannel or another warm type material. Mom says she can machine quilt the two layers together. We are going to give it a whirl.

I had been reading a few different felting tutorials when I ran across the stomp felting method. You use your feet to felt the wool = stomp. In that little bundle is a layer of plastic and layers of wool neatly wrapped around some plastic pvc pipe then tied together. You roll it back it forth with your feet. Much like log rolling just without as much water. I sit most time while rolling it. Though also will hold onto the porch railing, putting most of my weight on it while rolling to add more pressure.

In olden days it is told that Indians would felt wool by covering and dragging the bundle behind a horse on their journeys. I have read some folks will beat the wool to felt it. Most use their hands and some have a felting machine. Don't have a horse, though Jim did voluteer to drag the pipe behind the truck up the drive way. Can't justify the expense of the rolling felting machine. I also don't think I would find pleasure in beating the wool, my old hands have "arthur" creeping into them and show signs of carpel tunnel. Stomp method should and did work.

The results

I used brown and light grey Shetland wool, threw in a bit of white Mohair for texture (the curls in the photo below).

Pinch test showed it was ready for the next step. The edges were a bit rough, they didn't felt well. Will pay more attention to the outer edges next panel. 1 panel down 5 to go. I will take photos to post of the process from start to finish with the next panel, in case anyone maybe interested.

Till next time...
Thanks for stopping by and have a great rest of the day!

2 comments:

Sharrie said...

This project look fantastic. You should have a wonderful finished product. It surely will be a labor of love because it is a lot of work!

JK said...

Thank you Sharrie. This is the kind of work I enjoy doing.:-)