May 14, 2009

Morning from the farm

It’s a comfy 62 degrees and hoping for a quiet day weather wise.

Dad came home from the hospital on Mother’s Day. He is doing as well as can be expected. Diagnosed with Pleural Effusion this time around.
"Pleural effusion, sometimes referred to as "water on the lungs," is the build-up of excess fluid between the layers of the pleura outside the lungs. The pleura are thin membranes that line the lungs and the inside of the chest cavity and act to lubricate and facilitate breathing."
Causes can be abdominal surgery and Pneumonia. Dad had the gallbladder surgery, which afterwards he developed Pneumonia then the Pleural Effusion followed. He still has labored breathing, though is resting comfortably, eating a bit more and seems to have a bit more energy.

Not only did Dad come home from the hospital on Mother’s Day. The better half made it home for the day. He originally thought he wouldn’t make it but he did. We met 3 of his sisters, his mother, a sister-n-law, and a nephew in Lebanon for Mother’s Day lunch and a bit of family time. The afternoon we spent with my parents. The guys made dinner for Sister and I that evening. It was a good day and so nice to see everyone.

Sister came down from the city and has been staying at the farm since Dad has been ill. She has good days and bad days. We take advantage of the good days, getting out and about visiting thrift shops and second hand stores (one of her favorite activities). I made arrangement for her to have crochet lessons today. Knitting and crocheting she can do without much physical activity and is a project she can stop and start easily.

Good news concerning her health , the arsenic levels in her blood are not increasing so the arsenic poisoning was from something in the past. Her tremors were a side effect of a new medication, changing out medications stopped the tremors. As far as the abnormal brain shrinkage, they are still attempting to find the cause.

Roses came for Mother’s Day in the form of a rose bush. I have been wanting to plant some in the front yard. Believe it or not this will be the first year I am able to have an area without the goats having access to and eating anything I plant.
Plus… a new house goat. The best kind – stuffed. The guys ran into Tractor Supply for something and came home with this cute little fellow.

The access road/driveway was rebuilt yesterday. Had 2 dump trucks of rock and dirt hauled in, a grater smoothed things out and cut new ditches on the sides so the water should flow down and away not over. We can now come and go without fear of the road collapsing or falling off the side.

Tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, okra, cucumbers, onions and various salad greens are growing quite nicely. The yellow wax beans have new little purple flowers. The heavy rain and hail beat many down though I don’t think we lost any. I can’t wait for the first homegrown tomato... yum!

The hummingbirds arrived. A mating pair I do believe. I hung the feeders out a few days ago. Very delighted to see them visiting.
Til next time, have a good one!


Tammy said...

Much going on in your life right now, and I know it has to be hard. I hope your sister finds healing, and that some of the problems seem to be stablizing. Do they have any idea where the arsenic poisoning originated? Glad to hear your Dad is doing better. Sounds like you had a busy but great Mother's Day! Will you be coming to the Fiber Fair Saturday?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, I haven't knitted in awhile though, that's the best kind of house goat to have, don't have to clean up after it, etc.!

DayPhoto said...

I am keeping you and your family in my prayers. You espically for it seems you are the pivot by which everyone is tied. You can not afford to become ill.

Hang in there for yourself and all of us who love you!


Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Oh I love the stuffed goat, cute.

I'd rather get rose bushes rather than cut roses anytime.